Anyone who engages in any temporary or transient business within Douglas County to sell goods or services is required to obtain a Transient Merchant license.
The term “Transient Merchant” means any person, individual, co-partnership, limited liability company, and corporation, both as principal and agent, who engage in, do, or transact any temporary and transient business in the state if Minnesota, either in one locality, or in traveling from place to place in this state, selling goods, wares, and merchandise; and who, for the purpose of carrying on such business, hire, lease, occupy, or use a building, structure, vacant lot, or railroad car for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares, and merchandise.
The term "Transient Merchant" does not include a seller or exhibitor in a firearms collector show involving two or more sellers or exhibitors.
Any person, either as principal or agent, conducting business as a transient merchant without having first obtained a license is guilty of a gross misdemeanor.
The forms on the right side of this page must be completed and accepted prior to issuing a license. Forms can be downloaded and completed on-line, but must be printed, signed, and mailed or delivered to our office.
Additional required documents:
- A Surety Bond, conditioned on the terms as stated in Minnesota Statutes, section 329.11, in the amount of $1,000.00 must accompany the license application.
- Bond should be made payable to Douglas County
- An itemized list of merchandise to be offered for sale, listing:
- A description of each item
- The serial number of each item, if any
- The owner's actual cost of each item
- A designation by number corresponding with a number to be affixed to each item by a tag which shall be kept fastened to the item at all times until sold.
- A copy of the seller’s permit as issued under section 297A.83 or a written statement from the applicant stating that applicant is not offering for sale any item that is taxable under Chapter 297A.
- valid for one year from the date of issuance
- valid at one sale location only
- not valid for more than one person, unless that person is a member of a co-partnership
- not valid outside of the county in which it is issued
The license fee is $150.00 for each sale location.
We will accept payment by Check or Money Order.
Funds should be made payable to Douglas County.
Every person, either as principal or agent, that conducts any one of the following actions without first obtaining a license is guilty of a gross misdemeanor:
- engage in, do, or transact any business as a transient merchant
- conduct any sale, sell or expose for sale any goods, wares, and merchandise
- advertise, represent, or hold forth any sale of goods, wares, and merchandise
•Minnesota Statutes, section 329.099 to 329.17
•Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 297A.83